BRUNSWICK AND GLYNN COUNTY
MINUTES – February 27, 2017 at 10:00 AM
Chamber Large Board Room
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT
BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT
MEL BAXTER, STAFF
JOHN SCOTT, STAFF
JOAN HEARN, STAFF
SHERRI PRUITT, STAFF
REES SUMERFORD, COUNSEL
ROB BURR, GCAC
TERRA WINSLETT, GCAC
WOODY WOODSIDE, CHAMBER
MAYOR CORNELL HARVEY, CITY OF BRUNSWICK
TRAVIS STEGALL, CITY OF BRUNSWICK
PETE SNELL, COASTAL PINES
ROD SAWALL, GICCA
JIM DRUMM, CITY MANAGER
JAMIE KENDALL, AMERICA’S SECOND HARVEST
KALISTA MORGAN, AMERICA’S SECOND HARVEST
JAN MELCHER, GEORGIA QUICKSTART
JENNIFER FORDHAM, GDCA
DAVID MANNING, GLYNCO MANNING AVIATION
JAMES COUGHLIN, CAMDEN COUNTY JDA
JEFF PARKER, CAMDEN COUNTY JDA
MONICA SMITH, S.L.E.A.T.
PAM SHEIRLING, THE ISLANDER
LINDSEY ADKISON, BRUNSWICK NEWS
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chairman Cedric King called the meeting to order at 10:00am.
II. INVOCATION WELCOME GUESTS
Mel Baxter gave invocation and Chairman Cedric King welcomed guests.
III. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
IV. PUBLIC COMMENT – Chairman Cedric King invited public comments from the guests.
V. ACCEPT AGENDA
VI. AMERICA’S SECOND HARVEST OF COASTAL GEORGIA – Jamie Kendall
A MOTION was made by Jack Kilgore and seconded by Bruce Dixon to approve the request to expand the proposed metal building, remove the existing freezer and erect another freezer on a new slab as presented. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
VII. GCAC – Rob Burr
A. Informational Items
Capital Development Updates
North Apron Industrial Expansion
East General Aviation Relocation Project
Master Plan Update
McKinnon SSI Airport Hotel and Terminal Complex Update
VIII. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
A. January 23, 2017 Minutes
A MOTION was made by Jack Kilgore and seconded by Wayne Johnson to approve the January 23, 2017 Meeting Minutes. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
B. February 1, 2017 Called Minutes
A MOTION was made by Jack Kilgore and seconded by Wayne Johnson to approve the February 1, 2017 Called Meeting. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
A. Approve Financials – January 2017
Joan Hearn reviewed the January 2017 financial statements. The Authority’s financial situation remains strong. The Share the Future fund balance to just over $578,000 at the end of January.
A MOTION was made by Wayne Johnson and seconded by Jack Kilgore to approve the January financials as presented. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
X. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
A. New Business Recruitment – Mel Baxter
• Met with representative from local company for possible expansion. More to come.
• Follow-up meeting with the JWSC Director, County Administrator and City Manager regarding community water and sewer issues. More to come.
• JDA Workforce presentation.
• Ady Advantage Group had first site visit. More to come.
• Met with Tradewinds representative to discuss future plans for the 686 site. More to come.
• Attended FTZ Conference.
• Met with Chris Molene regarding downtown project.
• Met with grant writers to begin application process for One Georgia grant for the Gateway Industrial Park entrance. More to come.
• Made presentation to GICCA regarding Shared Vision Statement.
• Attended Glynn County Commission Workshop meeting.
B. Business, Retention and Expansion (BRE) Update and Communications Update – John Scott
• Working on Glynn County Public Safety Overview
• Setting up next Manufacturer’s Roundtable
• Coordinated with Georgia Tech on lean manufacturing – held at PAR Marine.
• Working on updating the website. More to come.
• Continuing to work with the Adult Education Center and pursuing grants for the cause.
• Workforce presentation is underway. Will keep the board apprised of the progress.
C. Strategic Planning
Mel Baxter reported that the Ady Advantage will call in on March 3rd to discuss where we are at in the process and will follow up with a March 9th site visit.
XI. CHAIRMAN ITEMS
A. Update from Rod Sawall with GICCA
Rod Sawall reported that the Golden Isles College and Career Academy safety and career fair was well attended. The upcoming fundraising Golf Tournament on June 1st has begun with more to come as date nears.
B. Update from Pete Snell with Coastal Pine
• The computer science and welding building in Waycross has officially open.
• Enrollment is up significantly due to dual enrollment this year.
• Coastal Pines had a free workshop with 20-30 people in attendance.
• The FY2018 budget is currently underway and Pete will keep the board apprised on the progress.
Jack Kilgore reported on the Board of Regions upcoming visit to our community.
XII. IMPORTANT DATES
A. Development Authority Board Meeting – 10:00am, Monday, March 27th
B. Chamber Business Expo – Jekyll Island Convention Center, March 9th, 4pm-8pm
C. Wings Over the Golden Isles Airshow – March 24th-26th
D. Chamber Quarterly Membership Luncheon – Sea Palms, April 19th at noon
E. Washington Fly-In – April 26th-28th
F. Chamber Experience – Sea Palms, May 24th, 5:30pm-8:30pm
XIII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
AMMEND AGENDA – A MOTION was made by Wayne Johnson, seconded by Bruce Dixon and passed unanimously to amend the agenda to add Closed Session – Discussion of Personnel OCGA Section 50-14-2(b)(2). The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0
A. Closed Session – Pending or Potential Litigation OCGA Section 50-14-2
B. Closed Session–Discussion of Personnel OCGA Section 50-14-2(b)(2)
A MOTION was made by Bruce Dixon and seconded by Jack Kilgore to enter into Closed Session to discuss Pending or Potential Litigation OCGA Section 50-14-2 and Personnel Items Section §50-14-2(b)(2). The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
A MOTION to return to Open Session was made by Bruce Dixon and seconded by Jack Kilgore. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
Returned to Open Session
A MOTION to adjourn was made by Bruce Dixon, seconded by Wayne Johnson. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0. The meeting adjourned at 12:20pm.
Approved Board Meeting
Chairman Cedric King
Brunswick and Glynn County Development Authority
Attachments may be viewed on our website or in the Minutes Book at the Brunswick and Glynn County Development Authority office at 1505 Richmond Street.