BRUNSWICK AND GLYNN COUNTY
MINUTES – August 22, 2016 at 10:00 AM
Chamber Large Board Room
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT
BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT
MEL BAXTER, STAFF
DAVE SMITH, STAFF
JOHN SCOTT, STAFF
SHERRI PRUITT, STAFF
REES SUMERFORD, COUNSEL
ROB BURR, GCAC
SHAWNA WILLIAMS, GCAC
JENNIFER FORDHAM, GaDCA
JULIE MARTIN, CITY COMMISSIONER
BILL BRUNSWON, COUNTY COMMISSIONER
DALE PROVENZANO, COUNTY COMMISSIOENR
MAYOR CORNELL HARVEY, CITY OF BRUNSWICK
ALAN OURS, COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR
ROD SAWALL, GICA
PETE SNELL, CPTC
PETER MURPHY, COMMISSIONER ELECT
ARTIE FORD, BANK OF THE OZARKS
SHAWN SLAY, GaDOL
JOHN LITTLE, McINTOSH S.E.E.D.
PASTOR MARK BAKER, GREAT WORKS MINISTRY
SHAWNTIA LEWIS, CITY OF BRUNSWICK
MONICA SMITH, SLEAT
ZERICK SAMPLES, CGCA
PAM SHIERLING, THE ISLANDER
LINDSEY ADKISON, BRUNSWICK NEWS
I. CALL TO ORDER –Chairman Cedric King called the meeting to order at 10:00am.
II. INVOCATION WELCOME GUESTS
Pastor Mark Baker gave invocation and Chairman Cedric King welcomed guests.
III. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
IV. PUBLIC COMMENT – Chairman Cedric King invited public comments from the guests.
V. GCAC – Rob Burr
A. Amend Glynn County Airport Commission Fiscal Year 2016/2017 Rates & Fees
A MOTION was made by Bruce Dixon and seconded by Wayne Johnson to approve amending the Glynn County Airport Commission 2016/2017 Fiscal Year Rates and Fees Schedule to add Transportation Network Company Fees. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
B. Approve Glynn County Operating Budget Amendment #1 Fiscal Year 2016/2017
A MOTION was made by Wayne Johnson and seconded by Jack Kilgore to approve a budget amendment to move funds from the maintenance season temporary help account (7022) for approximately $20,000 to the personnel expense account (5000) to fund the permanent position. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
C. Longview Hangar #14 – Transfer of Ownership
A MOTION was made by Jack Kilgore and seconded by Wayne Johnson to approve transfer of ownership of Longview Hangars Condominium #14 as presented subject to approval at the next Glynn County Airport Commission meeting. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
Rob Burr additionally reported on various items including four of its nine board positions open at GCAC and anyone interested can send their resume for review.
VI. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
A. July 25, 2016 Minutes
A MOTION was made by Wayne Johnson and seconded by Bruce Dixon to approve the July 25, 2016 Meeting Minutes. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
A. Approve Financials – July 2016
Dave Smith reviewed the July 2016 financial statements. Major transactions that occurred for the month were the payment to the Davis Love Foundations for the Authority’s sponsorship to the RSM Classic event in November. In addition, the Authority contributed $6,000 to the Coastal Plains Coalition for the Coastal Regional county’s wetlands review. At year end, the Authority’s financial situation remains strong. The Share-the-Future fund balance at the end of July was just over $554,000.
A MOTION was made by Bruce Dixon, seconded by Wayne Johnson and passed to approve the July 2016 financials as presented. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
B. Approval 2016-2017 Amended Budget
A MOTION was made by Wayne Johnson, seconded by Bruce Dixon and passed to approve the amended 2016-2017 Budget as presented. The major changes involved actual cost information following the conclusion of hiring the new President of the Authority as well as an increase in the amount budgeted for the Strategic Planning effort that will take place later this year. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
VIII. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
A. New Business Recruitment – Mel Baxter
• Project USA still on-going with more to come.
• Met with Japanese Foreign Council Group at the Savannah World Trade Center and discussed TPP among other topics.
• Mel Baxter and Wayne Johnson met Jimmy Allgood, Chairman of Georgia Port Authority to discuss use of port to move community forward.
• Mel Baxter, Jack Kilgore, Scott McQuade and Woody Woodside met to discuss the combined visioning statement and how to bring other groups into the mission.
• Mel Baxter and Dave Smith met with Jimmy Junkin, Executive Director of the JWSC, to discuss issues and resolutions for our community. More to come.
• Met with Jason Coley of Georgia Power on RSM Marketing. More to come.
• Workforce Development Study at completion and Dr. Don Matthews will take over the study to keep accurate on-going numbers.
• Attended the Global Leadership Summit with several City and County Commissioners. Summit was well attended.
• Mel Baxter and John Scott attended the GEDA Luncheon in Atlanta, JDA meeting here, Glynn County Workshop on SPLOST and met with GCAC on the preconstruction meeting.
• Mel Baxter presented a snap shop to the Board of our projects.
B. Business, Retention and Expansion (BRE) Update and Communications Update – John Scott
• Meeting with several small businesses on August 24th to share ideas. More to come.
• Worked with Georgia Tech and coordinated August 18th work session here at Chamber.
• Continuing to work with Kyle Edwards, EDA intern, on standardized Economic Impact Analysis along with a cost benefit analysis. Will keep the Board apprised of the progress.
• The next MRT will be September 21st at Mercedes Benz with a tour of the plant.
• John Scott, Rick Townsend, Rod Sawall, Harry Haywood and Cedric King all attended an event in Newnan, Georgia to observe and learn from the German style apprenticeship at their technical schools.
C. RSM 2016 Update
Mel Baxter reported that Save the Date invitations have been extended to clients, prospects and local Project Managers. More to come.
IX. CHAIRMAN ITEMS
A. Update from Rod Sawall with GICA
Rod Sawall reported on the new members of the GICA administration and the success of the Skills USA competition with 2 of GICA’s 5 students receiving scholarships. Rod Sawall also reported on the new certification process standards required for all career academy schools.
B. Update from Pete Snell with Coastal Pine
Pete Snell gave details on German job training apprenticeship program along with various activities at Coastal Pine.
X. IMPORTANT DATES
A. Development Authority Board Meeting – 10:00, Monday, September 26, 2016
B. Wings Over Golden Isles Airshow, October 8-9, 2016 at Golden Isles Airport
C. Chamber Membership Luncheon at GICA – noon, Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2016
XI. LEGAL – Rees Sumerford
A. North Apron Project Resolution
A MOTION was made by Bruce Dixon, seconded by Wayne Johnson and passed to approve that the Authority designate the Glynn County Airport Commission the agent of record for contractual construction documents for grant administration for the North Apron Project at the Brunswick Golden Isles Airport as presented. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
XII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
A. Closed Session –Real Estate items pursuant to OCGA Section §20-14-3(b)(1)(B)
A MOTION was made by Jack Kilgore, seconded by Wayne Johnson and passed to enter Closed Session to discuss Real Estate items pursuant to OCGA Section §20-14-2(b)(1)(B). The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
A MOTION to return to Open Session was made by Bruce Dixon, seconded by Jack Kilgore. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0.
Returned to Open Session
Mel Baxter discussed vehicle trade-in options with Board and will keep the Board apprised of the progress.
A MOTION to adjourn was made by Bruce Dixon, seconded by Jack Kilgore. The MOTION carried unanimously: 4-0. The meeting adjourned at 12:15pm.
Approved Board Meeting
Chairman Cedric King
Brunswick and Glynn County Development Authority
Attachments may be viewed on our website or in the Minutes Book at the Brunswick and Glynn County Development Authority office at 1505 Richmond Street.